Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wicked in Tucson- a weekend event- Jan. 15, 2011


Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about this Musical. I saw it for the first time, in New York, on Broadway, with my older sister, in Sept. of '09. I have been dying to see it again ever since. And I totally wanted Ryan to see it. So I checked it out on the internet and saw that the closest it was coming was Tucson. I started saving right away for tickets, and counting down the days until the tickets went on sale. In the meantime we talked about it with our neighbors and they decided they would come with us. Tucson is about 3 hours drive from here, so I thought it would be awesome to get matinee tickets that way we could drive out in the morning get lunch before the show and then get dinner after the show, and still be able to drive home.


So this is how the weekend went down. Since we were leaving early on Saturday we dropped off the kids at friends houses on friday night. We love our friends who kept our kids for us. Friday night Ryan and I enjoyed a yummy dinner and we watched "The Wizard of Oz" to gear up for the show. We caravaned down to Tucson and met at Claim Jumper for lunch. We had a nice long relaxing lunch with no kids. He he he. Then we all jumped into the the same car and drove to the theater at U of A. When we got there and parked we started walking from the parking garage. Our friends realized that they didn't have their tickets, so Ryan and Mike drove back to get the tickets from Claim Jumper. Ryan's not the greatest with directions and they turned the wrong way. Then they got stuck waiting for a train. Finally they get the tickets and get back to the parking garage, Shannon and I are already at the theater waiting for them. Ryan and Mike had an adventure running from the first parking garage they saw, which wasn't the closest place to park, to the theater. Since they didn't know where they were going they stopped to ask several people along the way where to go. It was probably funnier to them, then telling it here, but they looked like a couple on a date. Running around looking for the musical. They were out of breath and didn't know what the theater was called or what part of the campus it was on, but they got a lot of strange looks and "oh what a cute couple" glances from everyone they met. They finally got to the show about twenty minutes late sweaty and out of breath.


 After the show, I took off my shoes seeing that it was going to be a long long walk. We had to stop and ask for directions back to the garage where Ryan and Mike had parked. For dinner we went to the Macaroni Grill. Love It. Before we were seated, Ryan went to the restroom. While in there, a worker from the restaurant failed to wash his hands after taking care of business. Ryan came out with a look on his face. After telling us what he saw, we all agreed that he should tell a manager what he saw. Ryan requested to speak with a manager and told what he saw. Unfortunetly they didn't pick up our bill, but they did make all the employees go and wash their hands, because Ryan couldn't point out the exact guy in question.  After making THAT fun memory together we dove into our pasta, salad, bread and peach lemonade- it was perfect!  My verdict on the entire weekend- AWESOME!  I loved the show as much as I did the first time I saw it, if not more.  It is amazing. Shannon really liked it as well. The guys- well you never really know with the guys. Ryan would see it again, but Mike maybe not. You MUST see it if you get the chance. And the music- don't even get me started- it takes your breath away!  I play the cd quite a bit in my car, the kids even request it from time to time. This post is much longer than I thought it would be.



4 comments:

Watson Family said...

:) What an awesome trip, musical, and hilarious adventure for the guys!

Bridgette said...

That is so funny! Things like that make a good weekend a memorable weekend. About Mac. Grill... gross. Even if he thought HE was clean just think of the door lock, or the toilet handle. Ugh! Yuck!
Miss you Darice!!

Nick and Ashley said...

Ha, ha... glad that you told the manager. Love that show. Love that your not wearing shoes. haha, that might be a huh, gross factor in that night as well. ;)

Shantil said...

I'll have to check it out sometime! Sounds like it was a blast!